The Tensio 100 is the origin of the UGT-tensiometer technology and has been continuously further developed for over more than 25 years. It is a cost-efficient tensiometer type that is especially designed for easy and fast mobile pressure head measurements in the field. The Tensio 100-set comprises a V2A-insertion auger for quick installation, as well as a protective tube for transportation, in which the tensiometer is kept permanently moist for immediate use and is protected from mechanical damage. In the tensiometer head, made of transparent acrylic glass, air inclusions are easily recognizable. The pre-tensioning screw enables an easy refilling even in the field. Additionally, this screw allows to preset a tension to reduce the measurement time to less than 3 seconds per measurement (from installation to reading).
The measurement corpus itself is made of a V2A-standpipe (Ø 10 mm), a Ms support, a ceramic cell (SKA 100FF, 10x24 mm), and a V2A tip. Depending on the type of Tensio 100 the suction pressure is displayed on a mechanical precision vacuum meter (Ø 63 mm).
- Displays the current suction pressure on a mechanical pointer manometer
- Basic and cost-efficient system
- Very suitable for teaching purposes, since the measurement principle is clearly understandable
- The overview printed on the back of the tensiometer head enables a fast classification of the measurement value even without specialised knowledge
- Very suitable for short-term measurement campaigns with many measurement points, such as mapping the current tension distribution or the determination and optimisation of the irrigation status in agriculture, as well as for concomitant reference measurements for other sensors (for example soil moisture) or as basis for sampling
- No data recording
- Not suitable to remain in the field
Installation and Maintenance
The Tensio 100 – set is designed for the mobile tension measurement in the field. Accordingly simple is the installation. The necessary auger is included in the set and can be stowed safely in the provided protective tube together with the tensiometer. Insertion auger and tensiometer are matched in their size and shape. Simply prepare the whole to the designated depth using the auger and then prick the tensiometer into the prepared hole until the tip is pressed into the bottom of the hole. The Tensio 100 is designed for vertical installation.
Stowed in the protective tube the Tensio 100 stays ready to use at all time and can be transported from one measurement site to another without the risk of drying out. Further the tube protects against damage from mechanical force. If air bubbles arise in the course of a measurement or the tensiometer falls dry, it can easily be refilled in the field. Only a container with water is needed for that. No tools are required.
Because of the frequent installation as a part of the planned operation concept, there is an increased risk of damages of the ceramic cup. Therefore the ceramic of the Tensio 100 can be easily and independently exchanged in the field.
- Can be easily and safely transported in the protective tube
- Always ready to use
- Robust design
- Fast and simple measurement
- Short reaction time (<3s)
|Pressure measurement||Precision vacuumeter|
|Measurement range Tension||0 … +85 kPa|
|Degree of protection||IP54|
|Response time according to RICHARDS||< 3 s|
|0 … 40 °C|
|Air entry point||>-85 kPa|
|Hydraulic conductivity||8.1x10-8 m/s|
|Length||30 cm /60 cm / 90 cm / customised on request|
|Diameter (outer)||10 mm|
|Material||V2A stainless steel|
|Part. No.: 101100||Standpipe length 30 cm|
|Part. No.: 101200||Standpipe length 60 cm|
|Part. No.: 101300||Standpipe length 90 cm|
|Protective cap||Protects the ceramic cup from drying out and mechanical damage. Suitable for Tensio 100 / Tensio 150 / Tensio 160|
|V2A-Insertion auger||Non-destructive and simple installation of the tensiometers and optimum connection to the pore system of the soil. Suitable for Tensio 100 / Tensio 150 / Tensio 160|
|Spare parts kit Ceramic cups SKA 100 FF||Spare parts kit for repair and maintenance of tensiometers for Tensio 100 / Tensio 150 /Tensio 160|
- Determination of the current state of the plant water availability
- Reference measurements for irrigation optimisation
- Reference measurements for existing measurement systems
- Short- and middle-term monitorings in the fields
- Prepration/planning of new measurement campains
Technical University of Munich - Chair of Hydrology and River Basin Management
- Application of the Tensio 100 for teaching purposes as part of pedological and hydrological practical courses. The Tensio 100 tensiometers are particularly suitable for this application as the principle of the measurement is easily recognizable and therefore the principle of the tension in the soil is easily conveyed. Further the tensiometers can be used easily and without any specific previous knowledge and do not require any peripherals such as readers, data loggers or power supply. The Tensio 100 tensiometers are inexpensive and very robust and can be repaired inexpensively if damaged. Therefore the regular application of the tensiometers by unexperienced users is not a high risk.
- Application within the project ProNaHo (https://www.hydrologie.bgu.tum.de/index.php?id=176 ). Acquisition of tension data as a basis for modeling of flood retention measures for evaluation in terms of effectiveness.
SGL Spezial- und Bergbau- Servicegesellschaft Lauchhammer mbH
- Application in the framework of the monitoring of the Witznitz dump. The Tensio 100 is specifically suitable for the control and renaturation of open pit mining residues due to its flexibility in application and its high robustness.